Retiring a Horse to Old Friends
To learn more about placing a horse with Old Friends, please read the information below to determine if your horse meets our retirement criteria.
- Old Friends accepts Thoroughbreds only.
- Stallions in need, horses at great risk, and stallions being returned from overseas
- Because of demand from the racetrack and breeding shed, we do not accept sport horses or
horses that have transitioned into other careers or homes. While we have made some rare
exceptions in the past, our demand from the race track and the breeding shed is now so huge
that we simply cannot expand our scope. Please visit the website for the Thoroughbred
Aftercare Alliance (www.thoroughbredaftercare.org) for a listing of more than 60 accredited
farms that help OTTBs. Please also visit the websites for your discipline governing bodies
(such as USEF or AQHA) as they often have links to retirement options.
- Old Friends is a charitable organization providing permanent, life-long retirement. If your
horse has an option for a second career, please consider organizations offering rehabilitation
and rehoming services. Links to accredited facilities can be found on the TAA website.
- Donations to assist with the cost of your horse’s retirement are appreciated.
- Old Friends does not pay shipping charges. Owners are responsible for transport of any
- If your horse meets our criteria for placement at an Old Friends sanctioned facility, fill out
the application below.
- Your horse will not be considered for placement until you submit this application. This is an
information-only form. It does not imply acceptance or placement on our waiting list.
- Do not presume that your horse has been placed on our waiting list or has been accepted
until we have contacted you with a confirmation of acceptance.